Connect with us

NEWS

FG not aware of $875m arms deal reportedly blocked by US lawmakers – Lai

Published

on

 
    

The Federal Government says it is not aware of any $875 million ammunition deal with the US which is being purportedly blocked by some lawmakers in that country.

 

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said this while speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria on Friday in Abuja.

 

He said there was no contract of such nature and sum between Nigeria and the US

 

“There is no contract of arms between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the United States of America today apart from the 12 Super Tucano Attack Helicopters of which six had been delivered.

“We are quite satisfied with the progress and cooperation that we received from the government of the US on this issue.

 

“As a matter of fact, six of the Tucano helicopter will be launched on Aug. 3, this year.

 

“We are not aware of the so called 875million USD arms contract or some helicopters which they said some lawmakers in the US are trying to persuade the president of the US not to honour

 

“The relationship between Nigeria and the US is smooth and waxing stronger,” he said.

 

There had been reports that influential U.S. lawmakers were masterminding a hold on a proposed sale of ammunition and attack helicopters to Nigeria over allegations of human rights abuses and anti-democratic actions of the present administration.

 

The report listed the blocked proposed sale to include 12 AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters accompanied by defence systems, 28 helicopter engines produced by GE Aviation and 14 military-grade aircraft navigation systems made by Honeywell.

 

(NAN)

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

I Cannot Do Anything To Release Nnamdi Kanu, He Should Go Ahead And Defend Himself In The Court – Buhari Finally Breaks Silence

Published

on

By

The President of Federal Republic of Nigeria, Mohammadu Buhari has categorically made it clear that he can not release the leader of the Indigenous People Of Biafra, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu who is currently in DSS custody.

Remember that the Eastern leader and some traditional ruler had previous gone to Aso Villa Abuja in respect to seek for the release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.

In response, The president earlier assured them that he will consider their request but didn’t state if he will be released or not.

Going forward, in a recent publication by Punch Newspaper, the Commander in chief of Nigeria armed forces, Buhari has openly come out to stated vividly that he cannot do anything to free IPOB leader, urging that he should go ahead and defend himself in the court of law.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Stop celebrating just because Army killed bandit leader, wait until they crush all of them which I know Nigerian soldiers Cannot – renowned Islamic Leader, Gumi Says

Published

on

By

As the nation celebrated onslaught by the Nigerian military in decimating bandits who continued to make life unbearable to many citizens, especially the recent bombing by Nigerian Airforce jets in Zamfara where two bandit leaders were reportedly killed,the camp of renowned Islamic Sheikh, Dr.Ahmad Abubakar Gumi has called on the military to further convince the public by showing evidence.

A member of the Gumi camp and traditional title holder of ‘Dan Iyan Fika in Yobe State, Alhaji Tukur Mamu, told journalists in an interview, that “the simple question is that we should ask ourselves…for example these reports that they are saying that they’ve bombarded this camp and that camp,is there any evidence on the ground?”

T@P HERE TO CONTINUE READING THIS ARTICLE

Continue Reading

NEWS

Declare ‘Golden Dawn’ Operation In Niger, Kaduna States Under Bandits, Terrorists — IPOB Tells Nigerian Army

Published

on

By

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has condemned the Nigerian Army for launching Operation Golden Dawn in the South-East region of the country.

The group alleged that the operation was another scheme of the military men to embark on a killing spree of residents of the region, similar to what was done with Python Dance in which many lives were lost in 2017.

According to IPOB, it is disgraceful that the military operatives leave Northern Nigeria that is being ravaged with terrorism and banditry, only to concentrate on the South-East and other southern regions.

In a statement by Emma Powerful and obtained by SaharaReporters on Wednesday, IPOB berated political leaders in the region for not speaking against the operation.

The statement partly read, “This operation is another round of secret genocide akin to the infamous Python Dance by the Nigerian Army. This is another ploy by the military to continue their reckless killing of Igbo youths just because we want to have our independence.

“We wonder why a special military operation would be launched in the South-East why the same military has looked away from Kaduna, Niger and other northern states which have become a slaughter ground by Fulani bandits and terrorists decimating Christian communities almost unchallenged.

“The level of insecurity in South-East which of course was created by the same Nigeria security agencies is a far cry to the state of near-anarchy in the northern region. Why is it during special military operations that the Fulani controlled federal government remembers South East but when it has to do with infrastructure and appointments they go North?

“Our message to the operatives deployed for this wicked special operation is to make sure they don’t kill any innocent Biafran or IPOB member. If they know where the bandits were created to wreak havoc in the South-East, let them face them. But any day they touch innocent Biafrans in South-East, they will regret their action.

“They should be ashamed of themselves that even soldiers are being killed by Fulani bandits in the North but they are here declaring a special operation in a relatively peaceful region.

“We pity South-East politicians and the political elite who lack understanding of the times. They are only after their political interest in 2023.”

Recall that the Nigerian Army on Sunday announced special military exercises in the South-East, South-West and South-South regions of the country, codenamed ‘Golden Dawn’, ‘Enduring Peace’, and ‘Still Water.’

The army spokesperson, Onyema Nwachukwu, on Sunday, said Faruk Yahaya, the Chief of Army Staff, will perform the flag-off in Enugu State.

He had said the exercises, which were routine, were to stem the tide of criminality as the yuletide approached.

Continue Reading