Connect with us

JUST IN

Tension as plateau Government oders for the arrest of peaceful protesters over killings in plateau State

Published

on

The Plateau State Government has warned residents against staging a protest over the recent killings in the state.

There has been tension in the state of recent after 22 travellers returning to Ondo State from Bauchi were killed on August 14 along Rukuba highway in Jos North Local Government Area of the state.

Governor of Plateau State, Simon Lalong.
The travellers had gone back to Bauchi State for an Islamic programme and were on their way back to Ondo State when they were attacked.

Subsequently, Jos was enveloped in tension following the killing of 35 persons in Ahwol Ward of the Naraguta community in the same LGA.

Simon Lalong, the state governor, also declared a 24-hour curfew in Jos North and dusk-to-dawn restriction in Jos South and Bassa LGAs.

In a statement on Tuesday, Dan Manjang, state Commissioner for Information and Communication said the government has received information that some residents are planning to hold a demonstration on Tuesday.

Describing the protest as unnecessary, Manjang urged the organisers to drop the idea in the interest of peace and security.

The statement read, “It has come to the notice of the Plateau State Government that there are rumours of a planned protest beginning tomorrow Tuesday, September 7, 2021.

“While the government acknowledges and respects the right of citizens to peaceful protest, it however reminds the general public that the ban on public procession by whatever guise and name is still in force particularly at this time that the state is still nursing its wounds from the recent attacks that affected some parts of the state.

“Government therefore warns the organisers of the purported protest to drop the idea in the interest of peace and security. Security agents have been placed on red alert to rise up to the challenge by arresting anyone who violates this directive.

“The government also enjoins all law abiding citizens to go about their normal duties without any fear of molestatio

JUST IN

Just In: Nigeria’s IGP Brings Back SARS

Published

on

By

The Inspector-General of Police, Alkali Baba Usman has revived a notorious unit of the Nigeria Police Force, which was disbanded last year after #EndSARS protests, the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

SARS was notorious for brutality, extrajudicial killings, and human rights abuses.

File Photo

In a statement obtained by SaharaReporters, the IGP was said to have released new terms and conditions on the operation of SARS officials.

The Police Force also made phone numbers available for citizens to report harassment.

According to Baba Usman, SARS has been reformed and the new rules of engagement are stated below:

“No SARS personnel is allowed to interface in any civil matter.

“They are not allowed to interfere in cybercrime (yahoo yahoo).

“No SARS personnel is allowed to conduct a stop and search exercise unless there is a distress call from victims or members of the public.

“They are not allowed to be involved in commercial matters, debt recovery, (landlord vs tenant issues).

“They are not allowed to interfere in any social/relationship cases (marital matters, boyfriend/girlfriend relationship).

“They are strictly for armed robbery and kidnapping cases!”

Also, citizens are encouraged to report cases of harassment by any of its officials to the following office: DIG, Department of Operations:

08037025670, IGP X-SQUAD 0902 690 0729, 08078662130, 08174041000 – CALLS.

0903 227 8905 – SMS.

0903 562 1377 – WhatsApp

Last October, there were massive protests in some states tagged #EndSARS, largely organised by youths, to call for an end to police brutality.

They also demanded that SARS, a police unit, notorious for human rights abuses, extrajudicial killings, and other atrocities should be disbanded.

But during the protests against police brutality, the Nigeria police unleashed more terror on peaceful protesters in many parts of the country, including at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos, the epicentre of the struggle.

The repressive regime of Muhammadu Buhari was forced to disband SARS.

It thereafter introduced the Special Weapons and Tactics Team, which many Nigerians described as not different from the disbanded SARS.

Meanwhile, the police inspector General, Baba Usman once said the disbandment of SARS had created a vacuum in policing the country.

He added that the morale of police officers in the country had been low since the #EndSARS protests in October 2020.

Continue Reading

JUST IN

Southerners Are Provoking Us So That We Can React And Make The Country Go Up In Flames- ACF Chairman

Published

on

By

The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) in a meeting held yesterday accused Southerners of provoking people in the North so that they can react and put the nation in state of crisis.

The National Chairman Chief Audu Ogbeh made this known while speaking extensively on the things bedeviling the northern part of Nigeria.

He spoke extensively on terrorism in the north as he wondered why Boko Haram and Banditry are prevalent in the region.

Chief Audu Ogbeh said that something must be done quickly so as to reduce the rate of insecurity in the region, adding that the North is sick.

He highlighted cases of kidnapping by bandits and the killing of northerners in the south, and called for a good cordial relationship between the north and other regions in Nigeria.

He likened the killing of northerners in the south and the agitation by secessionists as a means of sparking reactions from the north so as to cause crisis in Nigeria.

The National Chairman said that no amount of inhumane treatment melted on northerners in the south will make them react violently that may make the nation go up in flames.

Continue Reading

JUST IN

I Will Be The Last Person To Leave Nigeria If War Breaks Out — Oyedepo

Published

on

By

Bishop David Oyedepo, Founder and President of Living Faith Church Worldwide, has said he would be the last person to leave the country if war should break out in Nigeria.

Oyedepo made this known on Friday in Canaanland, Ota, Ogun State, during a church programme, “Prayers for the Nation”, organized by the church to mark Nigeria’s 61st Independence Day.

The African richest pastor, who said until the last person is killed he would not leave Nigeria, however, prayed to God to flush out lovers of war. He declared that anyone who moved to attack his church members will die on the spot.

“I have said before that God forbids war breaks out in Nigeria, I will be the last one to leave here. I am not saying that for fun, that is where my heart is, until the last person is killed and there is nobody else to help I won’t leave here.

“There shall not be war in Nigeria. Those who love war God will flush them out. We shall sing a new song in Nigeria.

“Anyone that dares a member of any household of a Winner, goes down for their sake. Anyone that sets his eyes on any Church to set on fire goes blind Church to set on fire goes blind on the spot,” he said.

Continue Reading