Connect with us

Uncategorized

BREAKING!!! Unknown Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen at Checkpoint in Oji River, Enugu State

Published

on

Gunmen have killed three policemen at Checkpoint in Oji River, Enugu State.

According to report, the attack happened at a checkpoint in Nachi which took the lives of three policemen.

More details coming….

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

BREAKING!!! Unknown Gunmen Set Joe Igbokwe’s Mansion Ablaze in Anambra (Happening Now)

Published

on

By

Gunmen have attacked the residence of Joe Igbokwe, the Special Adviser on Drainage and Water Resources to the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, in Nnewi, Anambra State.

There was said to have been heavy gunfire during the attack.

Igbokwe in a Facebook post on Sunday said some parts of the building were burnt by the gunmen.

He added that CCTV cameras captured the arsonists arriving in a vehicle at his residence in the town.

He said, “Here it is. My Home in Nnewi has been sacrificed. No life was lost. To God be the glory.

“IPOB invaded my house in Nnewi about now. I am sure they raised down the my house giving the jerrycans of petrol I saw being offloaded from their Sienna car via CCTV. To God be the glory. I am still alive.”

This comes shortly after the All Progressives Congress (APC) party chieftain blamed all attacks in the South-East region on the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

“SENATOR ABARIBE PLEASE TAKE NOTICE THAT I AM FROM SOUTH EAST AND I AM ALSO A CRITICAL STAKEHOLDER IN THE REGION AND NIGERIA. YOU KNOW IT AND I KNOW IT ALSO THAT IPOB IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BLOODSHED IN THE SOUTH EAST. THIS IS THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH. LET US FOR ONCE FEAR GOD AND SPEAK THE TRUTH SO AS TO PUT THE ENEMIES TO SHAME,” he had posted earlier on Sunday.

Efforts to reach him on his mobile phone were not successful as he did not answer his calls. (SaharaReporters)

Continue Reading

NEWS

Confusion Rises As Northern Elders Begs Jonathan for Forgiveness, Regrets Previous Actions.

Published

on

By

The Northern Elders Forum on Wednesday said it regretted backing then candidate Muhammadu Buhari in the 2015 presidential election, instead of the then incumbent Goodluck Jonathan.

It claimed that Buhari had, since succeeding Jonathan, let down a majority of Nigerians who trusted in his leadership before the 2015 polls.

NEF’s Director of Publicity and Advocacy, Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, said the forum wants the country’s next president to be one who would act in the “opposite direction” of the incumbent.

Baba-Ahmed, whose group called for Buhari’s resignation in December 2020, spoke on Arise TV’s ‘The Morning Show’ breakfast programme monitored by The Nation.

He said: “Is there any Nigerian who is not disappointed in President Buhari including diehard APC (All Progressives Congress) people? Is there anybody who would not tell you he wished President Buhari had done much better?

“We raised huge expectations, we told people, ‘Get rid of Jonathan, put Buhari there, he would fix corruption, he would fix insecurity, he would fix the economy’, (but) look at where we are now.”

“How can anybody say they are happy with the record of President Buhari? Even the people very close to him would tell you that they wished he could have done much better and he hasn’t.

“So, what we need to do now is to get ready to elect another President who would go in the opposite direction, a President who has a vision and a clear idea of what governance involves rather than just being a President.

Read Also: 2023 Presidency and the imperative of zoning
“So, I am disappointed and that is why today, I am actively involved in trying to see that a new leader emerges in getting Nigerians a new lease of life.”

Jonathan, a former governor of Bayelsa State, was Vice-President between 2007 and 2010 and became president following the demise of then-President Umaru Yar’Adua in 2010.

He contested the 2011 presidential election and won but failed in his bid to get re-elected four years later, losing to Buhari.

Following the clamour for a power shift to the South, Jonathan, who is currently Buhari’s Special Envoy to the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), is being courted by some politicians with an eye on the 2023 elections.

The National Secretary of the party’s Caretaker and Extra-ordinary Convention Planning Committee, John Akpanudoedehe, confirmed Jonathan’s constitutional eligibility recently when he said the ex-president would get an opportunity to contest the 2023 presidency on the party’s platform if he decides to join the APC.

Baba-Ahmed, however, urged Southern governors not to negatively politicise the 2023 presidency, advising instead that they should instead negotiate as the North had lived under Southern Presidents — Olusegun Obasanjo and Jonathan — since Nigeria’s return to democratic rule in 1999.

He said: “We have lived under Southern presidents because we recognise that Nigeria is made up of sections, ethnic groups and interests. We recognise that we are northerners, pluralism is in our DNA; we accept that, we live with it.

“Don’t make the issue of the presidency a matter over which Nigerians would fight and threaten the country and the democratic process; that is very dangerous for this country.”

The NEF spokesman insisted that what Nigeria needs is a president who realises the need to rebuild the country, secure Nigerians and check the downward trajectory of the country’s economy.

“The nation needs a leader that would do the things that President Buhari hasn’t done, create inclusiveness, address resentment and frustration in other parts of the country and the north and speak and act for everybody,” he said.

However, he wrote off both the ruling APC and the leading opposition party, the PDP, saying they had no answer to what Nigerians want in a candidate in 2023.

According to him, “smaller parties” might have the answer and should be allowed to field candidates with the character and capacity to lead Nigeria from all its current travails.

Source

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

SITE-AT-HOME: Anambra Shuts down despite IPOB’s directive

Published

on

By

For the fourth Monday in a row, streets, markets, banks, schools, motor parks and other public offices were Monday shut down in Anambra State, in observance of a sit-at-home order already called off by the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

IPOB had a month ago called for the shutdown of the South-east economy every Monday, in solidarity with its leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, who is being detained by the federal government and undergoing trial.

After the first Monday of the exercise, which was adjudged to have been wholly complied with, the group suspended the exercise, following a wide outcry by the people on the danger it portends for the South-east economy. The group said the exercise would only hold on days when Kanu would be going to court.

But three Mondays since its suspension, cities in the South-east, especially in Anambra State, have continued to observe the exercise.

In Onitsha, Nnewi and Awka Monday, THISDAY, which went round the towns, observed that markets, streets and motor parks were all deserted. Banks and other public offices were also shut down.

The spokesperson of IPOB, Mr Emma Powerful, had in previous weeks, said that the group would no longer enforce the sit-at-home directive, but would urge anyone who wants to observe it to do so, adding that the order to call off the exercise was communicated by Kanu from prison.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Anambra State Command has denied the rumour making the rounds that its personnel were Monday attacked in the state, stating that the rumour was unfounded.

The command was reacting to a video circulating on social media, in which gunmen suspected to be secessionists attacked a van carrying Civil Defence personnel, killing one person and setting ablaze the command’s patrol van, which had the inscription – donated by Anambra State Government.

The command’s spokesperson, Mr Edwin Okadigbo, in a press release said no patrol van belonging to the command was missing or damaged, while calling on the people of the state to disregard the rumour.

He said: “The attention of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) Anambra State Command has been drawn to a video circulation in social media insinuating that Civil Defence officers and vehicle were attacked on Monday 30th of August 2021 at Nenyi, Umueri in Anambra East LGA.

“We wish to state that there is no iota of truth in the video in circulation. All NSCDC facilities in Anambra State are safe and calm. In addition, all operational vehicles in the state deployed for an assignment are without any untoward incident today.

“This is purely the handwork of crises merchants and mischief makers who want to create panic and fear in the minds of Anambrarians and residents alike. The command with other sister security agencies are working in synergy to ensure that security situation in Anambra State is intact.”

The release also quoted the Anambra State Commandant, Mr. Vincent Ogu, as appreciating Governor Willie Obiano, the good people of the state and other sister security agencies for their support and collaboration towards enhancing the security architecture of the state.

Continue Reading