The Theatre Commander, Joint Task Force Operation Hadin kai, Major Gen. Christopher Musa, on Friday said that 14,609 out of the 70,593 insurgents who surrendered to troops are combatants.
Musa said this in Maiduguri when he spoke with journalists on recent successes recorded by the command under “Operation Desert Sanity” and “Operation Lake Sanity”.
He said, “The Theatre’s kinetic and non-kinetic activities have partly compelled some Boko Haram Terrorists (BHT) to seek alternatives to terrorism, thereby taking advantage of other avenues to surrender.
“Currently, a total of 70,593 persons consisting of BHT (JAS/ISWAP) fighters and their families have surrendered to troops.
“Out of this number, 14,609 were active male fighters, 20,955 are women, while 35,029 are children.
“The Theatre, in conjunction with the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation, has commenced reviews of cases of detainees at the Joint Investigation Centre (JIC).”
Musa also said, “some of the detainees have been cleared and handed over to the Borno Government and the UNICEF.”
According to him, in the last month, the military has conducted several operations on land, maritime and air, where over 60 terrorists were neutralised and over 120 arrested, including their suppliers.
The theatre commander reiterated the commitment of the command to maintain effective synergy with the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) and work in unison with the Maritime and Air components, paramilitary establishments, state governments, humanitarian agencies, local communities and the media for success.: